Bag it up, now.
It’s rather strange to think that not 48 hours ago, I was taking off my badge for the last time and collapsing in a hotel room around three thousand miles from where I am right now.
But after a pleasurable flight, a $45 cab ride, an impromtu wake-up party at 4 AM, a trip to a Fangoria convention, and a shuttle to a bus to the subway, I’m finally home, with my favorite cat curled up in a ball on my lap and my favorite Katie on the couch sleeping as well.
All in all, it was a really bizarre week. I did literally no sightseeing, unless you want to count the SVGL/Del Taco/Krispy Kreme trip. I met twenty-two separate people I have been talking to online for various lengths of time, which means I averaged over three a day. This is a bit of sensory overload, and a lot of people either only met me briefly (HI EVERYONE AT SVGL) or I didn’t have enough time to hang out with (you all know who you are). I apologize to those people who feel short-changed – actually, I apologize mostly because I feel short-changed. There really aren’t enough hours in the day, especially when I’m burnt out from the expo.
I leave you with a list of 20 things I’ve learned/observed on this trip, in no particular order.
- The Metreon actually has good food.
- When using glass display cases, you really need to bring mousepads.
- Lots of people thought I was taller. Or a teenager. Or black.
- SVGL is just an arcade and mini-golf. It’s really not the mecca everyone on the east coast wants to think it is.
- That said, I really want a IIDX machine because it’s so much better than playing at home.
- I cannot play right side worth shit. Not that my left side ability is much better, but still.
- For the past year, I’ve been talking to cool guys, complete sweethearts, egomaniacs, and some sincerely nice people. I regret little.
- I am rather happy that I was one of the few people who didn’t have Peter Cohen’s tongue in my mouth this trip.
- Jamba Juice is good shit.
- Apple employees, despite working for company notorious for charging a lot, are largely cheapskates, given the number of requests I got for an Apple employee discount on ToySight.
- Del Taco is good, but a little overrated. Maybe it was just the fact we had to eat outside in the cold, though.
- The Serrano Hotel is a nice hotel with good internet access and a polite staff.
- There really is a Starbucks on nearly every corner in San Fran.
- IDG really needs to re-evaluate how they do expos. Given the huge amount of space unsold at the expo, why is floor space so expensive?
- There is a small segment of the population who will walk in front of you while you’re demoing a product that involves using a webcam. These people are idiots.
- The people who make steps for Pump It Up belong in an insane asylum.
- Rory is a retard.
- I think I’m pretty much done with playing DDR. Not just because I suck, but the fun is really gone.
- I wish I had a decent cameraphone or digital camera because I really wanted to take some pictures on Wednesday and Thursday.
- Jared still owes me $20.