The number of people who care about the technical details of any blog tends to be in the single digits. It is in everyone’s interest that I keep this succinct:
- New layout: took Mid-Century, converted it to the beloved PVW color set, chopped up the sidebar a bit so it wasn’t so widget-y. The whole site should be easier to read, although I’m sure there’s a bunch of images being chopped due to
- Better organization: nuked old un-used category structure. Created new, somewhat whimsical category structure, which is more about structure than content. Visit the site and explore. Not everything has been re-categorized yet – it will take quite a while.
- Added yearly archives. Monthly archives would end up being too long of a list.
- Related entries by tag search now enabled for all tagged entries.
- RSS feed is now redirecting (permanently) to the Atom feed. Those of you on the legacy RSS feed may get a feed burp; apologies.
Thanks to Zach Szukala for lending his eyes.
Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh, announcing the acquisition of Zappos by Amazon:
Over the next few days, you will probably read headlines that say “Amazon acquires Zappos” or “Zappos sells to Amazon”. While those headlines are technically correct, they don’t really properly convey the spirit of the transaction. (I personally would prefer the headline “Zappos and Amazon sitting in a tree…”)
We plan to continue to run Zappos the way we have always run Zappos — continuing to do what we believe is best for our brand, our culture, and our business. From a practical point of view, it will be as if we are switching out our current shareholders and board of directors for a new one, even though the technical legal structure may be different.
We think that now is the right time to join forces with Amazon because there is a huge opportunity to leverage each other’s strengths and move even faster towards our long term vision. For Zappos, our vision remains the same: delivering happiness to customers, employees, and vendors. We just want to get there faster.
As a frequent customer of both, I am cautiously optimistic.